The Tower Bells at Vowchurch

  Vowchurch page    Wye Dore home page

St Bartholomew's has three bells:
  • the Tenor by Thomas Rudall, weighing 5 cwt and dating from 1770 
  • the Second by W Blews & Sons, weighing 2¾ cwt and dating from 1871
  • the Treble by W Blews & Sons, weighing 3½ cwt and dating from 1871

We do not have a regular bell team, but one of the bells is generally rung to call the faithful to Sunday services, and visiting ringers from other local churches will ring for weddings or special occasions. Click to listen to the bells (mp3 format).

 

Members of the Herefordshire Guild of Bellringers at harvest time at Vowchurch on 1 October 2016: Bellringers at Vowchurch

The bells were taken down in 1987, refurbished at John Taylors in Loughborough, and rehung in 1992 with new wheels that were copies of the originals. One of the old wheels hangs at the west end of the church, under the tower. The parish had to raise £15000 to pay for the renovation.
Bells are lowered from the tower

[above] Mr Leslie Evans and members of the Kingstone bell team help to lower the bells in 1987

[below] the refurbished bells await rehanging at Vowchurch in 1992

Refurbished bells await hanging