St Mary's church, Tyberton

A brief account of the building

The church was built in 1719-21 in the grounds of Tyberton Court (now demolished).  The walls are of brick, but the late Norman south doorway of the previous church was retained.  Interior features to note include the 18th century box pews, the two decker pulpit, the royal arms dated 1720, and very fine carved wooden panelling in an apsidal shape behind the altar. There are many monuments to the Brydges family, who lived at Tyberton Court.

A more detailed description is available (click here) on the British Listed Buildings web site.

 

   Wye Dore home page    Return to Tyberton page